Happiness at work has a huge impact on productivity, creativity, and loyalty. It seems like a no brainer that people aren’t going to be on top of their game if they’re stressed. Yet many work environments put a lot of demands on employees without putting a lot of effort into figuring out how they can effectively meet these demands. As I’ve mentioned before in what do employees really want, it’s not as hard as you might think.
How to Boost Employee Career Satisfaction by Barb Krantz Taylor outlines nine ways to help keep employees happy, and I’d like to share them with you here:
1. Place people in the right roles according to strengths, skills and interests.
2. Give people frequent opportunities to reflect on how their career goals and interests align with organizational goals.
3. Build a high level of trust between employees and senior leadership.
4. Help employees feel connected to the company’s mission, purpose and future success.
5. Support employee opportunities to expand skills, learn and grow.
6. Happy employees trust and enjoy their co-worker relationships and feel energized by them.
7. Provide opportunities for employees to demonstrate discretionary effort.
8. Give employees a reason to be proud of the organization.
9. Watch for signs of burnout.